Mateusz Dąbrowski creates spatial objects and installations, he is a graphic artist, painter and graphic designer .
He concentrate around the issues of unnoticed or invisible reality, illogical reality, and the non-objectivity of environments, realising abstract forms based on contemporary understandings and interpretations of humanism, of man being only a small part of a complex organism like the world.
Dabrowski uses his experience in creating printmaking matrices to experiment with different materials such as: metal, wood, paper or plastics. The materials he uses to realise his works are always not incidental. Create forms whose ideas go beyond their materiality, and often the interactive nature of the artworks is crucial in co-creating meaning and sens. Dabrowski is interested in evolutionism, processuality, the theory of continuous movement, the lack of constancy, omnipresent determined temporal variation. His some sculptures are provoke to simultaneous motion with minimalist repetition, paraphrasing the work of a living organism. He moves his objects mechanically or by means of electromagnetic waves, infrasound or air movements.
Mateusz Dąbrowski was born in 1980 in Warsaw. He studied Graphic Art at the Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw. He defended his doctoral thesis in 2010 and his habilitation thesis in 2019. He runs a Screen Printing Studio at the Faculty of Graphic Arts, Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw. Dąbrowski was participant of the Radziejowice Art Symposia organised by Dr. Bożena Kowalska; in 2008 he took part in an artistic residency in Gütersloh in Germany; in 2010 he was nominated to ”Polityka’s Passport Award”; in 2010 he received a distinction at the International Biennale of Graphic Arts in Taiwan; in 2009, he was awarded the Grand Prix of Young Graphics at the International Graphics Triennale in Krakow; he received the Young Poland scholarship in 2015, the Prime Minister’s award for his PhD in 2010, the first prize funded by Siemens in 2005 and a six-month scholarship from the Minister in 2010.
2000 – 2005r. – study on Graphic Art Dipartmant in Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw, Poland
– made dyploma in prof. Rafał Strent studio, on Graphic Art dipartmant in Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw
– asystent in Printmaking studio of prof. Andrzej Węcławski on Graphic Art Dipartmant in Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw
– has closed the doctoral thesis
– has closed the habilitation procedure
– started to run the Serigraphy and Digital Techniques studio onGraphic Art Dipartmant in Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw
Awards and Scholarships
– Young Poland scholarship of Ministry of Culture and National Heritage, National Centre for Culture Poland
– Honorable Mention of the Jury at the III International Biennial of Digital Graphics in Gdynia.
– Award of Prime Minister for the doctoral thesis 2010.
– Half-year scholarship of Ministry of Culture and National Heritage.
– Nomination to Award in 14th International Biennial Exhibition, R.O.C. in Taiwan
– Honorable Mention for “The Interventional Cardiology” in Polish Publishers Society Competition in “Finest Book of 2009” category
– Proposed for “Paszport Polityki” Award
– Grand Prix of Young Polish Graphic Arts, MTG Cracow, Poland
– Major Award ACADEMIA 2009 for a book cover to “Interventional Cardiology”
– The International Young Aartist Sympozjum Gutersloh, Germany.
– 1st Artistic Award funded by SIEMENS
– The Award of National Museum in Warsaw
– Regulation Award, Nomination for Grand Prix in the 6th Triennial of Polish Printmaking Arts, Katowice 06, Poland
– Scholarship in competition memorial, 2nd place in “Daniel Chodowieckieck Contest i” in Sopot
– 3rd place in Polish Contest for the Best Diploma of the Year
– CRINKLE, FLUTTER, WRINKLE, RIPPLE, Mateusz Dąbrowski, Leleart Space, curated by Paweł Kamiński, Warsaw, Poland 02/10 – 20/12/2022
– ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, Mateusz Dabrowski, Telegraph Gallery, curator. Zbyněk Janáček, Olomouc, Czech Republic, 16/09 – 23/09/2022
– SORRY, Mateusz Dabrowski, 302 Gallery, curator. Marta Pogorzelec, Academy of Fine Arts in Katowice, Poland 18/04 – 30/05/22
– Connection Bozena, International Geometric Art, Syker Vorwerk, curator: Martin Vosswinkel, Syke, Germany, 03/06 – 28/08/22
– International Sin Rumbo Fijo Project. Exhibition at Betanzos in La Coruna. Spain 5/11/2021
– The Language of Geometry. The Permanence of Art“, BWA Katowice gallery, curator: Bożena Kowalska, Katowice, Poland 10/09 – 07/11/21
– BARDO / EMBODIMENT , M. Dąbrowski & J. Wróblewski, Salon Akademii Gallery, curator: Julia Harasimowicz, Warsaw, Poland, 01/03 – 08/03/2019
– ORION, Mateusz Dąbrowski, Nanazenit Art Gallery, curator Michał Kołodyński, Warsaw, Poland, 07/11 – 14/12/2019
– TONDO MIRROR. LIGHT, Mateusz Dąbrowski, Mia Art Gallery, curator Bogusława Deptuła, Wrocław, Poland, 05/10 – 20/10/2019
– CONCRETE SPACE 2, Három Hét Gallery in Budapest, curator: Barna Benedek, international exhibition, Bulgaria, 05/11 – 23/11/2019
– BEAUTY, 3nd Kaunas International Printmaking Biennial 2019, National M. K. Čiurlionis Fine Art Museum M. Žilinskas Gallery, Kaunas, Lithuania 17/10/2019
– “Sin Rumbo Fijo. Ensayos de Grafica Contemporanea” International Print and Art Works on Paper Art Festival -FIG Bilbao, Spain
– CATERPILLAR, Mateusz Dabrowski, The Zachęta Project Room, curator: Magda Kardasz, Warsaw, Poland, 25/05 – 22/07/18
– Friendship gester. Bożena Kowalska collection, International exhibition at the Mia Art Gallery, curator: Bożena Kowalska, Wrocław, Poland. 19/05 – 15/06/2018
– Light in Geometry: International exhibition at the Mazovian Center of Contemporary Art “Elektrownia”, curator: Bożena Kowalska, Radom, Poland, 02/03 – 23/05/2018
– BUBBLE, Mateusz Darowski, privet prosperity, Lechonia street, Warsaw, Poland.
– GENERATOR: Mateusz Dabrowski, Olga Ząbroń, SOCATO Gallery in Wroclaw, Poland, 12/05 – 29/05/2017
– JIL: Mateusz Dąbrowski, Cezary Poniatowski, Tomasz Sacilowski, Ivo Nikić, Monika Zawadzki/ Brechta 17 street, Warsaw, Poland. 13/04 – 13/05/2017
– Mateusz Dabrowski, Galerie Marie Therese Prosperi, 24/11 – 24/12/2016, Luxembourg.
– Mateusz Dabrowski, MIRRORS, in Handwerkskammer Düsseldorf, Germany
– SGCI, Portland Themed Portfolio Exchanges, USA.
– Kunstraum Roy, Pfingsten 2016, Kunnersdorf, Germany.
– VIBRATIONS: Mateusz Dabrowski and Jewgenija Gortchakowa, Birkhofer Gallery in Gottenheim, Germany.
– Geometry Language – half a century of change, curator Bozena Kowalska, Centre for Contemporary Art „Elektrownia” in Radom, Poland.
– What Is It What You Do?, Akademy Saloon Gallery, Warsaw, Poland.
– 3th International Triennial of Contemporary Graphic Art, IMPRINT 2014 in Symphony Varsovia, in Warsaw, Poland.
– SGC Printmaking Conference, Milwaukee, Galeria Frederick Layton Gallery, Wisconsin, USA.
– 31h Outdoor Meeting for Artists Using the Language of Geometry, curator Bozena Kowalska, Centre for Contemporary Art „Elektrownia” in Radom, Poland’
– presentatin on New Media Conference in Warsaw, Poland.
– Contemporary Polish Printmaking Exhibition, Lalit Kala National Academy of Fine Arts, New Dehli, India.
– Teachers from the Printmaking Department of Warsaw Academy of Fine Arts, Fine Arts Faculty, University of Ostrava, Czech Republic.
– IMPRINT, Collection of Contemporary Print, Palace of Arts, Lviv, Ukraine.
– 6th International Biennial of Contemporary Graphic Art in Novosibirsk, Russia.
– Ukraine Imprint, Contemporary Print Collection, House for Art and Culture, Sevastopol, Ukraine.
– Polish Contemporary Printmaking Exhibition, The College of Art & Design Kyuag Hee University Campus, Seul, Korea.
– IMPRINT, Contemporary Print Collection, Museum of Literature, Odessa, Ukraine.
– Mateusz Dabrowski -Hidden- in Square – branch of Artystic Center of Trzcina Factory, Warsaw, Poland.
– Mateusz Dabrowski -Views-, Acadamy of Fine Arts in Warsaw, Poland.
– International Printmaking Triennial in Krakow Exhibition, Vienna, Austria
– International Printmaking Triennial Exhibition in Oldenburg, Germany.
– Contemporary Polish Printmaking Exhibition, TAFA Gallery, Tianjin, China.
– Post-competition Exhibition of 14th International Print Biennial R.O.C. In Taiwan.
– Imaging Exhibition, El Gallery Art Centre, Elblag, Poland.
– Mateusz Dabrowski -Endless-, Promotional Gallery, Warsaw, Poland.
– IMPRINT 2008 – Contemporary Graphic Art Collection, Magasinet, Falun, Sweden.
– “Competition for Daniel Chodowiecki Award for Polish Drawing and Print, Winners and Awarded Participants from 1992-2007”
Exhibition in Akademie der Kunste in Berlin, Germany.
– IMPRINT – Contemporary Graphic Art Collection, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Warsaw, Poland.
– 13th International Print Triennial Exhibition in Taiwan
– Exhibition at city gallery in Gutersloh, Germany
– International Print Triennial exhibition in Vienna, Austria
– International Print Triennial exhibition – Oldenburg, Germany
– Polish Art Exhibition, EU ARTMUSEUM in Stockholm, Sweden
– Author of 30 posters for exhibitions organized at Studio no. 6, Graphics Faculty, Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw
– Print – exhibition by artists from Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw, Medical University of Warsaw Didactic Centre, Warsaw
– IMPRINT – Contemporary Print Collection, T. Kulisiewicz Drawing Centre, Ziemi Kaliskiej Museum, Kalisz
– IMPRINT – Contemporary Print Collection, Ministry of Foreign Affairs edifice, Warsaw
– Polish Print – Art and Education exhibition, International Print Triennial Krakow 2009, Fine Arts Association, Art Palace, Krakow
– Grand Prix Young Polish Print exhibition, Bunkier Sztuki Gallery, Krakow
– International Print Triennial exhibition, Bunkier Sztuki Gallery, Krakow
– “Eastern Art Salon” exhibition, Printmaking and Drawing Biennial, Lubelski Castle, Lublin
– “Warsaw Industrial Architecture” print exhibition, University of Warsaw
– “Summer Salon” painting exhibition at Promocyjna Gallery, Warsaw
– 1st International Biennial Eastern Art Salon catalogue, Lublin 2009, p.29, Association of Polish Artists and Designers
– The 14th International Biennial Print Exhibition catalogue, R.O.C. – Taiwan, pp. 46-47, ISBN 9789860236316
– IInd International Digital Print Biennial catalogue, Gdynia 2010, ERA ART Association for Seaside Artists Promotion, p. 16
– Polityka, Nr 49(2785), 4 December 2010, p. 88, ISBN 9770032350008
– Art and Cognition exhibition catalogue, “Exhibition after XXIX Outdoor Meeting for Artists Using the Language of Geometry”, curator Bozena Kowalska, Mazovia Centre for Contemporary Art “Elektrownia”, pp.26-27, ISBN 9788362140800
– IMPRINT competition catalogue, T. Kulisiewicz 2nd Triennial of Graphic Arts, Warsaw 2011, Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw, p.91, ISBN 9788361558736
– 2B or not 2B – faces of drawing 2011 exhibition catalogue , Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw, pp.16-19, ISBN 9788361558781
– Format – art magazine, Nr 61 – 2011, Academy of Fine Arts in Wroclaw, “Language of Geometry in Polish Art of the Past Decade” – Bozena Kowalska”, pp.16-19, ISBN 977086725500402
– Format – art magazine, Nr 62 – 2012, Academy of Fine Arts in Wroclaw, “Art and Congition” – Bozena Kowalska, p.117, ISBN 977086725500401
– KISSPRINT Great Exhibition of Print, Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw, p.22, ISBN 9788361558965
– Print and Education. Polish Art Schools. Jan Matejko Academy of Fine Arts in Krakow 1818, p.67, ISBN 9788362321469.
– “Next to each other… On paper no limits: Warsaw-Lublin-Lviv” exhibition catalogue, Zajezdnia Gallery, Art Faculty, Maria Curie-Sklodowska University, Lublin
– 3rd International Digital Print Biennial Gdynia 2012 exhibition catalogue, ERA ART Association for Seaside Artists Promotion, p.17
– Grand Prix Young Polish Print 2012 exhibition catalogue, International Print Triennial in Krakow
– Colour in Printmaking exhibition catalogue. Digital edition, MTK Kraków, Wozownia Art Gallery, Torun
– Catalogue for Individual Exhibition in Sopot, design and making, Andrzej Węcławski / Illusions and Meaning, ISBN 978-83-61270-54-6, National Art Gallery, Sopot, December 2012